- Map Features
- Pinpoint private land owner names and property boundaries in Montana* so you can request access permission (if you want regional maps without land owner names, check out our HUNT Regional Maps for Garmin GPS)
- Discover little-known, seldom-hunted public land
- Navigate confidently around private lands you're not allowed to hunt
- Quickly view Big Game Hunting District boundaries
- Easily identify changes in land ownership with straightforward color-coded parcels
- Access roads — (hwy, city, back-roads, trails, etc.)
- Discover water — (lakes, rivers, creeks, springs, etc.)
- Map your best route with 24k topographic functionality
- Much more — every feature you will ever need in the field!
HUNT Montana Product Features
- Land owner name appears on parcels within the state*
- Land owner name is searchable in BaseCamp and most GPS units
- 2014 BMA (Walk-In Area) Access Lands
- 2014 Open Fields Access Lands
- Color-coded land ownership data
- Bureau of Land Management
- Block Management Areas
- State Land
- County Land
- WMA, WPA, NWR, etc.
- US Forest Service/National Grasslands
- US Fish & Wildlife
- MT FWP Land
- Indian Reservations
- Department of Defense
- Corps of Engineers
- Local government
- National Parks (Yellowstone included)
- State Parks
- Timber Company Lands (Plum Creek, Stimson)
- Much more!
- 2014 Big Game Hunting Districts—Deer, Elk, Lion
- 2014 Antelope Hunting Districts
- Wilderness Areas
- Section lines and numbers (T24N R34E 12)
- State sections, School Trust Land,DNRC
- 24K Topographic features (20 ft contour intervals ~ 1:24K Equivalent)
- City parks, county open space
- Roads—Highways, city and county roads, USFS roads, DNR roads, Nat'l Wildlife Refuge roads, roads on publicly accessible timberlands
- Trails—Continental Divide Trail, USFS trails, Nat'l Park trails, BLM trails, Nat'l Wildlife Refuge trails, OSM trails - Over 27,000 miles of trail segments!
- National Forest Recreation Sites
- Geographic names (cities, creeks, manmade features, etc)
- Fishing access sites (boat ramps)
- Airports—Updated with current FAA data
- Microbrewery locations
- Lake Depth Contours — mostly on Western Lakes
- Water—detailed data on lakes, ponds, rivers, bays, streams, marshes, locks, springs, and dams
Map Coverage: Montana
Looking for Mobile Device maps? Take a look at the HUNT App for Mobile Devices!
Take advantage of all the information right on your mapping device! A legend is unnecessary on all digital hunting maps since all the data is easily accessible right on the map.
*Private land ownership information may not be available for all counties but is updated frequently. Check out our Plat Coverage Map for more information. It is important that you update your HUNT Montana Map yearly to get the most up-to-date information available.
We've combined BLM, Forest Service, USGS Topo Quad, and PLAT book maps to give you the most informative digital map of Montana ever created! View a color-coded map of Montana right in your hand, on whatever device you prefer. Public & private land boundaries with land owner names, hunting districts, topo information, roads, trails, and much more right at the tip of your finger. Intuitive and space-saving, our HUNT Montana Map lets you reduce clutter & get back to hunting! Endorsed by numerous State and Federal agencies, HUNT Montana is the most reliable source for Montana land ownership maps!
Visit our Plat Coverage Map to view which counties we provide land ownership data for!
Version 14.2Released on: Oct 23, 2014
- Updated 2014 BMA (Walk-In) Access Lands
- Removed the Bighorn Sheep, Black Bear, Moose, Mountain Goat, and Turkey Hunt Unit information to enhance user experience due to limitations of the GPS. This will allow users to make sure they can see the Deer, Elk, and Antelope Hunt Areas when they query on any point on the map
- Edited color code for Block Management Areas (BMAs)
- Edited color code for timberlands to make these access areas more visible
- Added thousands of miles of backroads on BLM lands and publicly accessible timberlands
- Changed symbology of closed roads and two-tracks to make these features more visible
- Manually fixed some of our water data, including the north shore of Lake Flathead
Version 14.1Released on: Aug 21, 2014
- Updated to 2014 BMA (Walk-In) Access Lands
- Added 2014 Open Fields Access Lands
Version 14.0Released on: Jul 15, 2014
- NOW HAS SEARCHABLE LAND OWNERSHIP CAPABILITY!
- Updated land ownership statewide
- Added dotted parcel lines to indicate interior divisions of properties
- Updated Hunt Units
- Added and refined inland lake bathymetry data to many additional lakes. Perfect for recreational reference, but do not use for nearshore navigation.
- Improved transportation network to symbolize different road types appropriately (particularly backroads versus more driveable county roads), reduce overlap in roads and trails, and include more city trails, National Park trails, and Fish & Wildlife Service roads and trails
- Updated POIs with many new symbols (including fishing access sites, breweries, airports, waterfalls, hand-launch boat ramps, and backcounty camp sites) and more city names displayed
- Created a unique color code for State Parks, State Forests, State Fish & Wildlife, State universities, local parks, Corps of Engineers, Dams
- Edited color code for Bureau of Reclamation
- Updated PLSS data
- Updated 24k topo lines
Version 13.1Released on: Aug 23, 2013
- Added 2013 Block Management Areas!
- Combined many roads and trails data sets to create the most comprehensive and detailed backroads dataset ever created for Montana! Updated the roads and trails layers to clean up doubled up roads and trails.
- Added names to most rivers and other waterbodies.
- Added Custom Waypoint symbols for Hunting.
Version 13.0Released on: Jun 26, 2013
- Fixed many data errors and land swaps. Here are a few of the larger ones of note:
- T21N R17W 5 – Unknown Parcels are now USFS
- T23N R33W 1 and some others nearby are USFS and not Private
- Some sections near Swan River State Forest are now State Land instead of Private
- T22N R14E 6 and surrounding lands were changed to BLM management instead of State Lands
- Dyrdahl WPA land management agency changed from BLM to US Fish and Wildlife.
- T15N R3W 18 was colored as State Land but it has swapped to Dearborn Ranch, LLC.
- Removed Well numbers
- Many Roads and Trails added to Beaverhead Deerlodge National Forest
- Fixed Subdivision Roads near Columbus, MT
Version 12.0Released on: May 24, 2012
- Updated Land Ownership data to April 2012 dataset
- Changed the map display so Ranch boundaries and other large property boundaries are easier to determine
- Updated Hunting District Boundary Data
- Updated Fishing Access Points
- Fixed some state land coloring in Missoula county
- Changed display of Section Lines to make them lighter
- Changed display of GMU boundaries to make them easier to see
- Changed the color and line style of the closed roads to clean up the map in areas with many old roads. These roads are now a light gray dashed line instead the thicker white and brown colored line.
Version 11.2Released on: Sep 15, 2011
- Removed Block Management Areas at the request of the Montana FWP
Version 11.1 (Released Sep 01, 2011)
- Added 2011 Block Management Areas with BMA numbers
- Added Yellowstone National Park
- Added New Trail Data
- Removed Conservation Easement Boundaries
Version 11.0 (Released Jun 27, 2011)
- Updated private and government ownership to 2011 data
- Updated Bighorn National Recreation Area boundary
- Cleaned data to run smoother and faster
Version 10.4 (Released Mar 03, 2011)
- Updated map display to make National Forest Roads, Backroads, and Trails more visible on Oregon, Dakota, Colorado, and Nuvi GPS units
- Updated Hunting District Boundaries
- Display is now much cleaner on Nuvi units
- Returned elevation values to the Topo lines
- made Hunting District numbers easier to see which HD you are in
- Road and Trail Names and numbers now display more prominently
- TRS info now shows on the computer version of the map
Version 10.3 (Released Oct. 2, 2010)
- Added Roads and Trails
- Changed Map Identification
Version 10.1 (Released Aug. 12, 2010)
- Added a waypoint in the middle of each section to display Township, Range, and Section Numbers when user zooms to the middle of a section
- Removed Legal Description from Parcel Lines to simplify the map
Version 10.0 (Released June 18, 2010)
- Updated ownership to 2010 - Ownership current to Dec. 2009 through May 2010 depending on the county
- Waterbody Data East of Missoula fixed
- Added National Forest Wilderness Area Boundaries
- Added Legal Description to Parcel and Section Lines to show Section Numbers and Lot Numbers
- Included Parcel Data and ownership within the major cities
- Added Lake Depth Contours
- Added Conservation Easements Coloring
- Added Many more Trails throughout the State
Version 9.4 (Released March 8, 2010)
- Montana Deer/Elk/Lion Hunting Districts added to the map - (double greeen line)
- Added Fishing Access Sites
- Changed section/parcel line naming & coloring for clearer display on Dakota, Colorado, and Oregon series
- changed map identification
Version 9.1 (Released Nov 2009)
- Number of Topo Lines increased - now 20ft contour intervals when zoomed in (contour lines represent 20ft of elevation gain or loss). This allows you to more easily tell where subtle rises and falls in the landscape are.
- Updated Land Owner Data to July 2009
- Rural Roads now load at a higher zoom to help plan travel routes easier. (Data loading zoom levels can also be adjusted in the Map Setup Menu by changing the Map Detail Level to 'More' or 'Less')
- System Requirements
View our GPS Compatibility page for more information on system requirements and GPS Unit compatibility with HUNT by onXmaps products.
- You will be able to see your position relative to public and private land boundaries. For example, if you are on a BLM section, your current location will show up on a yellow background. If you are on private land, your GPS will show your current location on a white background
- Wherever you go you have a Statewide Ownership and Topo Map compacted down to a device that fits in the palm of your hand and weighs less than a pound
- Easily Compare to your Paper Maps to quickly figure out your location on that Paper Map using section lines and property ownership coloring as a reference
We concentrate our efforts to providing the most current and accurate property boundaries and ownership available. These maps are for reference purposes only. Always obey property postings and use common sense to visually verify boundaries. Data is taken from the most current state and national government agency's land survey data. Because of the data compilation methods used by state agencies and onXmaps, the data is subject to error. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content or usability. User assumes all risk of use. These data do not constitute a legal survey; when seeking the definitive description of real property, consult the deed recorded at the local county courthouse or official land records in the respective Federal or State agencies.
You can read more about Garmin GPS Unit accuracy on the Garmin website
HUNT by onXmaps Product Overview:
TEAM HUNT Customer Testimonials: