This tutorial will walk you through the steps to take if you have purchased (or are thinking of purchasing) a map from this website. It is important to note that you can use any of Garmin's Map Management Softwares (Trip and Waypoint Managers) to view the maps and transfer to a GPS unit - BaseCamp or MapSource. These software are very similar, so the steps taken to install the maps are the same until the final step of Transferring the Maps to your GPS. BaseCamp is recommended because it is newer software and is easier to install.
Part 1 - Installing MapSource
- To manage the maps and send maps to your GPS you need to have Garmin's MapSource or BaseCamp software installed on your computer (PC). BaseCamp will soon replace MapSource as a newer version of basically the same software, so you will be able to complete this tutorial using either BaseCamp or MapSource. See Tutorial 1 for more information on Basecamp. (Note: "Trip and Waypoint Manager' is another name for MapSource)
- Your Garmin GPS may have come with 'Trip & Waypoint Manager' (also known as MapSource) software to download data from and upload data to your device via your computer. If you haven't already done so, you need to install this software to your computer. (If your unit didn't come with this 'Trip & Waypoint Manager/MapSource CD' you can Download Mapsource Online by downloading Garmin Training Center then Garmin MapSource ) [YOU MUST INSTALL THEM IN THIS ORDER] - once downloaded and installed move on to 'Step 2 - Installing the map you purchased')
- If you have a 'Trip & Waypoint Manager', or 'MapSource' CD, Grab it and insert it into your computer's CD drive
- An installation wizard window should pop-up on your screen, follow the directions to install the software.
- Update the Software to the newest version from Garmin. Follow this link to get the update on Garmin's website.
- When completed, Mapsource is now a program on your computer. It can either be opened through an icon on your desktop or through the Windows Start Menu -> 'Programs' -> 'Garmin' -> 'Mapsource'
Part 2 - Installing the map you purchased
- Make sure you have Mapsource installed on your computer before installing the map!
- Login to the MyMaps Area of this website using your email address and Password that was delivered to the email address that was used to make the order.
- In the MyMaps Overview Page you will see a list of all the Maps that you have purchased. Select 'Download Product'
- A window will pop up asking you to save the file. Save it to any easy to remember location such as your desktop or My Documents folder. Be sure to remember the location where you save it.
- If you saved the file to your computer in the previous step, browse to the downloaded .exe file, double click it, and select 'Run'
- An installation wizard window will pop up on your screen - Follow the instructions and read all licensing information.
- When Finished, the map will be loaded as one of the Mapsets available in your BaseCamp software.
- Proceed to Part 3 to unlock the map so you can see full detail on your computer and use the map on your GPS.
Part 3 - Unlocking the Map
To unlock your purchased copy of your map you'll need the unique Unit ID of your GPS receiver. The Unit ID is a 10-digit number which is absolutely unique. Every Garmin GPS receiver has such a number.
Watch this video if you need help getting your Unit ID or read the written instructions below the video.
Having trouble viewing this video? Click here for the YouTube version.
There are two ways to find out your Unit ID:
- In BaseCamp simply connect your GPS to your computer and turn it on to view your GPS's model and Unit ID on the left side of the screen under 'Devices'.
- To get the Unit ID only with the help of your GPS, Turn it on and go to the Main menu -> Setup -> System and then press or select the menu button. Choose Software Version. Please write down the Unit ID. You will need it later. (For newer GPS units [Oregon, Dakota, Nuvi, & Colorado series] - go to 'Setup', then 'About')
After you have your GPS unit ID please log into the MyMaps web page and Login using your Email Address and Password which were sent to you with your order confirmation. After logging in select the 'Generate Unlock Code' button. In the following form you have to fill in the unique Unit ID of your receiver. Enter your GPS model # to keep your unlock codes organized (optional).
Select 'Submit'. Highlight the 25-character unlock code, right click, and select 'copy'. We will paste this in BaseCamp later.
As soon as the code is generated, it will be sent to you via email. It will be also available in the Login-Area at any time in case you need to retrieve it later.
Open MapSource. The program recognizes that there are unlocked maps installed and asks if you would like to start the unlock procedure. Click the button 'Unlock Maps' (If the software doesn't prompt you to unlock maps, you can go to 'Utilities' - 'Manage Map Products'). Furthermore there's a hint in the lower right corner that the loaded map is locked (Map Detail Locked).
In the following window of the "Map Product Manager" SWITCH TO THE TAB LABELED "Unlock Regions" and open the input form for new unlock codes by clicking "ADD". Fill in the unlock code you've generated in Section 1 and add a comment which describes your unlock code.
After you have entered a valid unlock code the map will appear as "Unlocked" in the Map Product Manager. From now on the map can be used on your Computer and also on your GPS receiver.
Back in MapSource you can now zoom in to view the features of the map. Note: More Data will load as you Zoom In
If you don't see the map you were expecting, make sure you have the correct Map selected for display in MapSource. You can switch between Maps by clicking the Map Product drop down menu in the upper left corner and clicking the name of the map you ordered (i.e. WY-BLM4GPS). Or you can Click 'View' -> 'Switch to Product' and click the name of the map you ordered.
Part 4 - Uploading the map to your Garmin GPS (MapSource users)
- 1. Open the MapSource software that you installed on your computer in Part 1.
- 2. Use the USB cable that came with your GPS to connect the GPS to your computer
- 3. In Mapsource, select the drop down menu in the upper left and select the name of the map you ordered (i.e. WY-BLM4GPS)
- 4. You should now see the map you ordered. Use the 'Zoom Tool' to zoom in and check out any area you want. (more map features (topo lines, water data, etc.) will be loaded as you zoom)
- 5. Zoom back out and select the 'Map Tool' button in the toolbar (see the image below). Note the grid of squares that is now shown on the map. Each square represents an area that can be loaded to your GPS (depending on the storage capability of your GPS, you may not be able to load the whole state to your unit at one time).
- 6. Use the 'Map Tool' to select the areas you are interested in. (You can draw a large box (by left-clicking and dragging) to select multiple areas, or you can select one area at a time by holding the 'CTRL' key and left clicking on each area)
- The Map Tool is located at the top of the screen. Note how the selection box highlights all the areas it comes in contact with.
- The selected areas are highlighted in pink and listed in the maps tab on the left side of the screen.
- 7. Now that you have selected the areas that you want to send to your GPS, select the 'Transfer' menu button (upper left) and left-click on 'Send to Device'
- 8. A 'send to device' window will pop-up and, if your GPS unit is connected to your computer, the unit will be located automatically and it's name will be displayed.
- 9. The check box next to 'Maps' should be checked under the 'What to Send' heading.
- 10. Select 'OK' and the maps will be sent to your GPS.
- 11. You've done it! Now check out the map screen on your GPS and 'pan map' over to the area you uploaded the maps. Then Zoom in to make sure you can see the maps on your GPS before you leave your computer.