An explanation of the difference between our most popular Garmin GPS map products
Premium vs. Standard
- Our Premium product is equivalent to our old PLAT4GPS map. This product includes private landowner names.
- The difference between our Premium and Standard GPS maps is landowners' names. All of the color coding for public and private property, topo, roads, trails, and all other features are the same. You can see in the screen captures of Wyoming below that both maps look identical except the Premium map has private property boundaries with landowners' name.
- The incredible advantage of having the private land owner names is that it gives you a more reliable source of property ownership information. As you may know public lands data from the government can be quite erroneous. The private land owner name data may contain errors as well, but it gives you a source to help determine if there is a discrepency that you may need to look into further by contacting local property management officials.
Standard (previously BLM4GPS) - now for select regions only
Premium (previously PLAT4GPS) - state by state only
SD vs. Download
- We encourage all customers to buy the SD chip version of our map because it just makes their life easier, especially now that we have our online chip updater. Most customers don't have the time or computer skills to handle the download version, which results in customer service phone calls. The difference in cost for the download helps pay for these US based customer service technicians.
- The reason we have kept the download around is for those users who have a GPS that doesn't accept SD or microSD chips. It can also be useful for those who use the map on their computer heavily, or for a user who needs the map instantly rather than having to wait for it to ship.
- Very Easy to use! Simply plug the memory chip into the memory chip slot on your GPS and go.
- No downloading software and messing with the computer.
- The microSD can also be used to view the map on your computer through Garmin's BaseCamp software (for Advanced Users). View the map on your computer to help find areas to hunt or scout before you hit the ground.
- Some GPS units don't take microSD or SD chips, so you will have to use the download version.
- Download version allows you to view the map on the computer then send the map to a GPS. View the map on your computer to help find areas to hunt or scout before you hit the ground.
- Customers will receive one unlock code and can purchase additional unlock codes to add the map to other family member's GPS units
- Downloading and installing all the maps and necessary software can be difficult and time-consuming
- For Advanced Users only
- High Speed Internet required for these large file downloads